I hired a contractor who did a terrible job. When he realize…

Customer Question
I hired a contractor...

I hired a contractor who did a terrible job. When he realize his work is not going to pass inspection, he pocket the majority of the downpayment, and offered a small refund, together with a trap letter saying that once I deposit that refund check, he is released from all liability. I declined to deposit that check, and he threaten to get ugly if I do not deposit that refund check.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?

Kansas. What purchase?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I already filed a claim against him and he counter suit for wrongful termination. He also made numerous false statement in the attempt to wear me out financially in the legal process. Is there a thing called legal bully?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is there a fee for this ?

Lawyer's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Employment Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.

I am just looking for 2nd opinion. Maybe another time.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/16/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks for your patience. Generally, there's nothing in the law that prevents bullying. However, it is possible that someone may be held liable for abuse of process. The legal term abuse of process refers to the act of using the legal process – during a legal proceeding – to harass another party to the suit, to intentionally incur costs with the intent that the other party will be ordered to pay those costs, or to delay the court action.

Proving abuse of process requires that certain elements be met. These include:

1. There is an ulterior motive or purpose to the process
  2. The process, or some portion of it, is not proper in the regular course of the proceedings.

Thus, if you have reason to believe he's countersuing intentionally to try to cause you damages, you may be able to bring a lawsuit against him after the conclusion of this.

What other questions did you have for me?

How do you prove ulterior motive? Does the threat to get ugly if I do not deposit his refund check (thus release him) count?

It's difficult to prove that they had an ulterior motive. It could through emails, through witness statements, or anything you can find through discovery. The threat to get ugly may help prove that they had an ulterior motive to try to punish you.

OK. I need to do something else now. Let me stop here and cancel the call order.

Understood. Did you have any other questions for me?