I've recieved phone messages telling me that a law suit. Is…

Hi I've recieved phone...

Hi I've recieved phone messages telling me that my name is ***** ***** law suit. Is this normal practice or is this a scam? Thanks, Pete

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I live in Az. one message was from Mass. and the other from Calif. Pete

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not that I know of.Pete

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so. Pete

11/16/2017
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks very much for your patience. I could not tell you with 100% certainty whether this is a scam. But what I can tell you is that every court in the country has specific procedures to notify another party if there is a lawsuit pending against them. A party that initiates a lawsuit is required to file it in the court where the cause of action occurred or where the defendant lives. Thereafter, the party is required to mail or personally deliver a copy of the lawsuit to the defendant. Calling the defendant is not appropriate and the lawsuit may be defeated unless they actually serve the complaint. The service has to be done by someone who is 18 or older and not a party to the case. In addition, you may be able to check the court's website where these individuals are claiming the lawsuit exists. If they give you a case #***** you can go to that county's website and plug in the case # ***** find out whether you've actually been sued. The reason is because lawsuits are all public record and you can verify for yourself.

What other questions did you have for me today?

Thanks very much for the info, if I hear more I'll be in contact. Pete

The pleasure is all mine! There’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

3. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

4. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer