Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

If your husband secretly refinances a loan and forges your

signature in the loan...
if your husband secretly refinances a loan and forges your signature in the loan contract, are you obligated to pay this loan?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: ny
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes,my credit is damaged because of non payment, and the bank is taking over the property
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to know if i have any legal grounds to challenge both the lawyer who handle the closing and the mortgage bank, as well as my husban(ex)
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/16/2017
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

How long ago did this happen?

.

Did ex have a power of attorney for you?

.

Has ex defaulted on the debt?

.

.

thanks

Barrrister

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
the loan was refinanced in 2006, but i found that out this year
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
i am not sure how it was done because i was not there. But i did not give him any power of attorneyYes he defaulted and now my credit is ruined

Ok, if your signature was forged, then you would normally only have 6 years to file a criminal complaint as that is the statute of limitations.

.

But if they were coming after you civilly, then you could defend based on this being civil fraud on the part of husband and the lender in allowing him to sign on your behalf without any legal authority to do so.

.

You could also sue ex and the bank for fraud for damages as the statute of limitations is 6 years from the incident or 2 years from discovery, whichever is greater under N.Y. Civ. Prac. L. & R. §213 which states:

.

8. an action based upon fraud;  the time within which the action must be commenced shall be the greater of six years from the date the cause of action accrued or two years from the time the plaintiff or the person under whom the plaintiff claims discovered the fraud, or could with reasonable diligence have discovered it.

.

So you could sue them for fraud, defamation of character, and breach of contract and seek compensatory and punitive damages if you can prove that this was willful and malicious, which it very well may be..

.

I would suggest you contact a local consumer protection, or even a personal injury attorney to see if they could assist or get you to someone who could.

.

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to represent customers from the site or recommend anyone personally under my agreement with JustAnswer. However, these are a couple sites that we attorneys actually use if we need local counsel in a state where we aren't licensed. Further, customers have consistently reported good results with these sites:

.

www.martindale.com

.

www.lawyers.com

.

They screen their attorneys based on geographic location, area of practice, time in practice, cost and customer reviews.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Thanks, ***** ***** was useful.
Barrister, Attorney