My ex sent me a text telling me she was going to pay me back…

Customer Question
My ex sent me...

My ex sent me a text telling me she was going to pay me back for the house I paid for a long with helping with my license and I wanted to known if I can use the text messages in court

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I got a text from her tonight saying she wasn't going to pay me back

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes she gave me 30 days to move out with no money and over half my stuff is in the house we also shared a bank account for several years

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/16/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

The best evidence rule is a legal principle that holds an original copy of a document as superior evidence to any copies or other forms of the same evidence.

In Dalton v. Commonwealth, Chief Judge Huff held that text messages do constitute “writings” for the purposes of Virginia’s best evidence rule. After the holding in Dalton, Virginia joins a growing number of states that have recognized that the best evidence rule applies to text messages.

So, yes, you can use the text messages as evidence in court.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!