Do you have to pay overtime to salaried office employees -

Do you have to...

Do you have to pay overtime to salaried office employees - if they choose to do it without pre-approval

Lawyer's Assistant: Have they discussed this wage-and-hour issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

At will Job is salaried

11/16/2017
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I'm sorry to say, but the answer is yes. According to §785.11 of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) regulations, "Work not requested but suffered or permitted is work time." This means that even if you did not authorize the overtime, if they worked it, you have to pay it. The only thing that would be the saving grace is if the employee earns more than $455 per week. If they make over $455 per week, then they are exempt from any overtime payments. Otherwise, you'll have to pay them. You may want to consider disciplining the employee for their actions or even terminating them if they do not abide by the company rules against this.

What other questions did you have for me?

This employee does make more then $455.00 per week.
The employee makes over $800.00 per week and is asking for "overtime" to be compensated as additional PTO time which employee has already taken 24 hours over allowed PTO
We paid employee the additional 24 hours based on good faith that said employee does put in extra time - but now is asking for more over 40 hours.
Also - the employee is given 160 hours of PTO plus holidays

Thanks for providing that info. If they are making over the threshold, you do not need to pay them overtime. Even if you're giving them additional cash to help address the issue, you're not required to. Did you have any other questions for me?

No thank you ***** get a printable transcript of this Chat
Or was it also emailed

The pleasure is all mine! I don't believe the transcript is emailed to you, but you can copy and paste it into a Word doc real easily.

There’s also just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

3. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

4. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Done
You are way too kind thank you.