If you live in a shared housing facility, can a housemate…

Customer Question
If you live in...

If you live in a shared housing facility, can a housemate with no relation to you accuse you falsely of stealing in the public setting within that household publicly within in that household and can that be considered defamatory?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

This is in the state of California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. but totally unfounded accusations of stealiing in front of the other three members of the househhold have been made -- leaving the open question if the "victim" of the accusations is defamed within this public group. Since there is no evidence and just accusations, it has left the "victim" of the accusations vulnerable except to deny the charges -- again for which there is no evidence of theft.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That seems to cover it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/16/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a CA licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. This to me sounds like a case of defamation. Defamation is basically a false and defamatory statement, published to a third party, that causes harm (usually a lessened reputation in the community, lost business opportunity, or other harms as the facts dictate.)

You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter to the other party to recover for the damages you believe you suffered. Keep in mind that your damages are going to be limited to the reasonable loss that you suffered either actually (e.g. job loss) or generally (e.g. lost job opportunity, eviction, etc.). There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

What other questions did you have for me?