I was at work last Saturday and pulled a vehicle out of the…

Customer Question
I was at work...

I was at work last Saturday and pulled a vehicle out of the shop to go park it as instructed to. as I did so I slid on a patch of ice in the parking lot and the cops came and gave me a driving while suspended ticket. i was on private property and on the clock when it happened. is that legal to do? and what are the concequensises for that? I have two dui and 5 months left before I'm supposed to get my license back. this is the first time being in trouble while not having my license. I'm scared for my life to go to jail and I don't know what else to do

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I told my manager about it. the customer whose vehicle it was called the cops and they came and issued me a ticket

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If I'm going to end up in jail over this? that's the last thing that I need and want. I have been doing good and staying away and far from getting trouble and t his is my first offense

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/16/2017
Lawyer: Andrew, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Andrew
Andrew, Lawyer

Hello I am a licensed practicing attorney with 20 years’ experience hopefully I can help with your problem. Please give me a moment to review and respond to your question.

An additional license suspension of up to 6 months is possible. Most significantly, there is a mandatory jail term of anywhere from 1 to 5 days. If convicted of a third offense of driving with a suspended license in NJ, the fine increases to$1,000 and the court will typically impose a jail sentence of 10 days. As such I would hire attorney immediately.

You have a very good argument that you were on private property and that you were not driving but merely moving a car from parking spot to parking spot. Even if they deem this to be a true violation you really did not violate the spirit of the law you were just doing your job. A good attorney can get this reduced or dismissed especially since you were just doing your job and have stayed out of trouble. I would ask your attorney to get an exception for you from the judge as far as moving cars while at work and on private property.

Is there anything else I can help with? If not just accept and rate my answer. 5 stars is appreciated. Thanks!