I am trying to give a defendant my claim papers - the

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to give a defendant my claim papers - the sheriff is finding this difficult. Can he leave the papers with the receptionist at his office. Thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Oregon

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

This has been filed with small claims and the serving of the defendnt has been paid. I was informed that he could not contact the doctor to serve and could he leave this at his office

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just want to know if this form can be left at the office

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/15/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

ANSWER: Leaving it with his receptionist wouldn't constitute proper notice - because there's no assurance that the defendant got your paperwork (although you and I both know he would have). The sheriff may want to try at an alternate time - early morning or late in the day when the guy is leaving. If that continues not to work you can hire a real process server. Those guys only get paid when they serve so they have somewhat more of an interest in getting the job done. I hope that answers your question. If you don't need any additional information, could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question so that I receive credit for working with you. It doesn't cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively (3 or more stars). If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You can still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be some lag in my response time if you follow up with additional questions. It just means I'm working with someone else but I will ALWAYS come back an answer your questions when I'm done.