Received a letter from collection agency regarding debt for…

Customer Question
Received a letter from...

Received a letter from collection agency regarding debt for telephone/wi-fi that I did not make. My mother did and I guess she used my name. What to do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

PA. Letter says account opened in Feb. 2014 and last payment in Aug 2014. Total balance as of this date is 1188.59.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

This is a Verizon account. I did not contact anyone since it is not my debt and I didnt know what is was about. Until this current letter from debt collector there were no specifics as to what the debt was.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. I did not open this account.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/15/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It seems like there are a couple causes of action that you may have against this debt collection company. Under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act at section 1692e, it is unlawful for a debt collector to say that you owe a balance when you do not. In the future, you may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter (click here) for all collection attempts under the FDCPA. Lawyers use letters like these on the regular basis to enforce their client’s rights. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. If they continue, then you should file a complaint with the FTC regarding their action. This may also be an issue of negligence if they took something out in your name and did not run a reasonable check to see if it was you. You may be able to recover your actual damages as a result, including having the debt dismissed.

You may want to consider sending a letter to the credit bureaus to have them take off the debt if it is invalid. If you click here, you can purchase a document and send a letter to them to have them remove it.

What other questions did you have for me?