I bought cpn on line got arrested at dealerships they let me…

Customer Question
I bought cpn on...

I bought cpn on line got arrested at dealerships they let me go because I was cooperative but they wanted me to turn my self in and see a judge in am . Am I facing jail time cause I never had a back ground in anything?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Mayteson illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Matteson

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No can afford one they say I can only get a public defender when going to court

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
11/15/2017
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago

Sorry for the delay. I've reviewed your question and I'm happy to help, give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago

CPN's are not in and of themselves illegal.

However if they are used to intentionally conceal a poor credit background, it can be considered fraudulent.

If you are supposed to appear in court tomorrow, then my recommendation would be to hire a defense attorney to accompany you and represent you in this matter.

If you can't afford one, then a court appointed public defender should be assigned to you in the morning.

Until you have an attorney, if you are criminally charged with fraud in the morning, you would want to plead not guilty. Your attorney can then work on preparing a defense for you, securing evidence on your behalf, etc. Ignorance of the matter is in this case a valid defense.

To answer your question about potential jail time, credit fraud is considered a class 4 felony, which means it's punishable by anywhere between 1-3 years in prison and/or a fine or restitution order.

Keep in mind that is if you end up being formally charged, there is a chance that you may not, especially since it appears this occurred before a vehicle was actually procured.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones