Can a lawyer tell you to quit smoking after handling your…

Customer Question
Can a lawyer tell...

Can a lawyer tell you to quit smoking after handling your medical law suit for 7 years. When is the statue of limitations on how long a suit can be in the court system?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

ILLINOIS

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

YES and suit is continued every two months for 5 years already

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I do not think that all of a sudden he said quit smoking of I will drop your case

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/15/2017
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

A lawyer can give legal advice to a client and that may include a recommendation to quit smoking if that is relevant to the underlying case.

If the attorney provides legal advice and the client fails to follow it, the attorney is typically permitted to withdraw.

If smoking is not at all related to the case that would be an odd request, but not illegal per se.

Rule 1.16 governs withdrawal:

(b) Except as stated in paragraph (c), a lawyer may withdraw from representing a client if:

(1) withdrawal can be accomplished without material adverse effect on the interests of the client;

(2) the client persists in a course of action involving the lawyer’s services that the lawyer reasonably believes is criminal or fraudulent;

(3) the client has used the lawyer’s services to perpetrate a crime or fraud;

(4) the client insists upon taking action that the lawyer considers repugnant or with which the lawyer has a fundamental disagreement;

(5) the client fails substantially to fulfill an obligation to the lawyer regarding the lawyer’s services and has been given reasonable warning that the lawyer will withdraw unless the obligation is fulfilled;

(6) the representation will result in an unreasonable financial burden on the lawyer or has been rendered unreasonably difficult by the client; or

(7) other good cause for withdrawal exists.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here: