I received a summons for breach of contract with Lowes

credit card. My income is...
I received a summons for breach of contract with Lowes credit card. My income is Social Security, I am 64. My husband is not on the contract, but is 76 years of age and is also on Social Security and receives a pension.This summons says I must answer or file a motion with the court. How do I do this. The amount they say I owe is $1,301.85
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/15/2017
John, Attorney

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

This may be an answer that is easier done by phone call… Let me know if you want to do that. First if Social Security is the only income you have and you don't have other property like bank accounts or property that can be liened or garnished, then the Lowes creditor cannot recover from your Social Security fund or bank account holding those funds. You just need to be sure to tell your bank that the particular account is only for Social Security funds and they are not allowed to freeze of by law. To that extent, it may not even be worth your time to answer the complaint. Nor can they sue your husband or lean or garnish his assets.

But, if you have property that can be liened or garnished, you'll want to answer the complaint and hopefully work out a deal with the creditor. To answer the complaint, you just draft a document that responds to each allegation in the complaint generally in the same format of the complaint in which you will either admit, deny with explanation for the denial, or state that you are without information to adequately respond to the allegation. Once you draft that document you must file it with the court and mail a copy to the plaintiff. Once you've done that, what you should know about these cases is that third parties by the debt off of the creditor for pennies on the dollar. In other words this plaintiff probably bought your debt for about $130. So you have a lot of room to negotiate down the amount you should pay.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

John, Attorney