I need some advise, california, no, My gas was turned off be…

Customer Question
I need some advise ...

I need some advise

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My gas was turned off be socalgas I never received a notice. I paid the bill but that was after they had turned the gas off. I then paid a reconnect fee and a deposit but the soonest they can come out is week from yesterday. I have 4 kids under the age of 10. and at night it can get 49 to 59 at my house. what do I do?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
I am a Construction superintendent so after I got off the phone. I cut the lock off and turned my gas back on. We can not wait a week for heat and hot water. What should my next step be?
11/15/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

ANSWER: Oh gosh, so I'm sure I'm not telling you something you already know when I tell you that you can get into a heap of trouble for doing that. Really, the only thing you can do is notify them that you've done that, that it's in the 40's at night and they cannot leave a family in distress - essentially go on the offensive and hope they don't decide to pursue it - and remind them that you never received a notice and paid it promptly when you did. If they do decide to pursue some type of "destruction of property charge" you'll need to address it when the time comes. Obviously "self help" is always frowned upon - but having your kids freeze when it's 40's outside is frowned upon as well! Sometimes a "wait and see" approach is the only one you can reasonably take... I hope that answers your question. If you don't need any additional information, could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question so that I receive credit for working with you. It doesn't cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively (3 or more stars). If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You can still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be some lag in my response time if you follow up with additional questions. It just means I'm working with someone else but I will ALWAYS come back an answer your questions when I'm done.

Hi. Do you have all of the information you need? Is there anything else I can answer for you?