I went through a very ugly divorce a few years back. Through…

Customer Question
Hi I went through...

Hi I went through a very ugly divorce a few years back. Through the process I had a judgment against me on 4/23/12 for $1,000 and a judgment against me on 4/7/15 for $2,800. I paid both of the judgments right after they were given, have copies that the checks were cashed and multiple emails from my ex's attoney's stating they have accepted the payments and will be filing the release of judgment paperwork with the court.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

I have sold my home and we are scheduled to close on 12/13/17 and the title company for the buyer has indicated that these two judgments are still on my record. The title company sent an email to the attorney and they apologized for not releasing them. They stated they have spoke to their client to confirm payment was received and nothing owing and would let us know as soon as the paperwork is filed, just needed to have their client (my ex) sign something so that they could move forward. I just received an email from my ex stating she will not sign anything unless I send her $1500, basically blackmailing me. I need help to figure out what I do so that I can get these judgments off of my record

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in Washington state

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

The title company has made numerous calls to the attorney to see if they can release without their clients consent...doesn't sound like they can. I left a message for the attorney that represented me during the divorce, but have not heard anything back. I spoke to an attorney that works at my employer and he said I am kind of stuck

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have all of the documentation showing the checks have cleared (even says judgment on the check) I have email from the attorney saying they accept payment and that they were going to send in the paperwork to release the judgments, etc., so proof of payment is not an issue....just need to know what else I can do to get this taken care of.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
11/15/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

ANSWER: This is the time when you decide how aggressive you want to me. If it were me,1) I would email the title company stating that you dispute these charges on our record and include all of the evidence you have. I'd also 2) email her attorney with the same evidence stating that you intend to go after her for legal fees if she doesn't sign something stating it's paid off - and further attach any correspondence stating that she wants you to pay more (and make clear that you believe it's extortion - because it is) and 3) contact your ex with the same - and threaten to go back to the family court (if you guys are in court or were in court recently it makes it a more powerful argument). Finally 4) if all else fails, you can pay the amount she says and then go after her in small claims court. I hope that answers your question. If you don't need any additional information, could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question so that I receive credit for working with you. It doesn't cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively (3 or more stars). If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You can still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be some lag in my response time if you follow up with additional questions. It just means I'm working with someone else but I will ALWAYS come back an answer your questions when I'm done.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney