Morning. My sister in law was subpoenaed by mail who lives…

Morning. My sister...

Morning. My sister in law was subpoenaed by mail who lives in Florida to testify against her brother in texas. Does she have comply. Would she be in trouble if she dont.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

She lives in Florida and she is to testify in texas.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

She received the subpoena by mail.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that was it. Thank you.

11/15/2017
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Ok
Are you there.

Yes, I'm almost done typing, thanks for your patience.

Thanks again for your patience while I typed up my response.

Technically under the law, yes your sister does need to comply with the subpoena.

Failure to comply with a subpoena can result in her being charged with contempt, which carried the possibility of jail time and/or a fine.

In practice, judges only rarely enforce this, usually the failure to appear is overlooked without penalty (..unless it is for a defendant in a criminal case).

However in the event that the judge does want to enforce a penalty against your sister in law, there would first need to be a hearing to show cause -- in which your sister would be allowed to present some evidence as to why she should not be held in contempt. In her case she could present evidence as to the cost of travel being too expensive, inability to find child care on short notice, etc.

In summary -- yes there could potentially be sanctions against her for failure to comply with the subpoena, but that's rarely done, and she would have an opportunity to defend herself if she were going to be charged with contempt.

She'll just have to make an informed decision based on all of the above.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones
Thank you

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. Best of luck to you, take care!