Our horses are kept on a field but an adjoining field has no…

Customer Question
Hi, Our horses are...

Hi, Our horses are kept on a field but an adjoining field has no registered owener (we have checked with land registry) it is approx 1.5 acres and is densly overgrown. We were hoping to buy it but can't find any owner. If we cleared it and started to use it, where would we stand legally if an owner appeared?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Sorry I may be on the wrong site. This is in Merseyside UK

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No we have just done a search at the land registry

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that i can think of

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/15/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

ANSWER: What you've described amounts to adverse possession and the law in the UK on those rights states that you would need to be there for 12 years before you could argue that its yours. See http://naturenet.net/law/boundaries.html ("An existing owner loses his or her ownership after there has been uninterrupted adverse possession for the “relevant period” laid down in the Limitation Act 1980. The relevant period is never less than 12 years.") I hope that answers your question. If you don't need any additional information, could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question so that I receive credit for working with you. It does NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively (3 or more stars). If you have follow up questions I'd be very happy to answer them as well - so definitely ask. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. In any case, I'd be happy to answer any additional questions you have. There may be some lag since I may not be logged in but I will always come back to answer any follow up questions you have.