My friend and I, along with our roommate, adopted a cat. The…

My friend and I...

My friend and I, along with our roommate, adopted a cat. The adoption papers are in the roommate's name, but we equally split the cost of the adoption fee, vet bills, and our apartment pet fee. Our roommate is now moving out and says she is going to take the cat. Can she legally do this? Or can we take her to small claims court? We also have one instance that would serve as evidence for her neglecting the cat--she failed to schedule a vet appointment by the date set by the veterinarian following the cat's surgery.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

11/15/2017
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

ANSWER: The answer is, yes, she can legally do that and, yes, you can also take her to small claims court and argue that the cat is equally yours. As far as failing to set an appointment by the suggested date - lots and lots of people have done that (or, rather, failed to do that) and it's not really a basis of neglect. However, if you can show that you're the one that cares for the cat, plays with the cat, etc. that would go a long way. Also, any text messages where she admits it's equally your cat are helpful too. I hope that answers your question. If you don't need any additional information, could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question so that I receive credit for working with you. It does NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively (3 or more stars). If you have follow up questions I'd be very happy to answer them as well - so definitely ask. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. In any case, I'd be happy to answer any additional questions you have. There may be some lag since I may not be logged in but I will always come back to answer any follow up questions you have.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney