I am moving out and my roommates want to take my cat that is…

I am moving out...

I am moving out and my roommates want to take my cat that is in my name. They had helped with some vet bills, and for the deposit on our apartment to house the cat, and are now claiming they have rights to her? The cat's adoption is in my name, not theirs. Do they have any ownership over her?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Alabama. And they aren't family, they are two girls that I live with.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have the adoption papers for the cat in my name

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have another question, I have over text message, them agreeing to let me take a couch and dining table set, so long as I gave them back what they paid for it. Now they're claiming that belongs to them to. I have text message agreements that I would be taking these things.

11/15/2017
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

No, your roommates do not have any legal ownership to your cat. The cat is registered to you and is in your name only, any bills they assisted with was given by their own choice, and does not constitute joint ownership.

As per the furniture, if you have receipts or other proof of payment for the items, then you are legally entitled to the items. If your roommates attempt to move/take the items without your consent, then it would be considered theft and you could contact your local police for assistance.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

We all paid for the furniture, but they said (over a snapchat group message that I have screenshots of ) that since I found it I could take it to my new place and simply give them the money that they contributed to the furniture back. Now they're trying to say that written contract is invalid.
If I paid for the items myself with money they gave me, does that mean I am the owners of that furniture too?

No, it means that you are all joint owners of the furniture.

Unfortunately you wouldn't be able to enforce the snapchat message as a valid contract with legal recourse.

If you haven't already paid them for the total amount of the furniture, then it's still jointly owned. That means they do have to come to some mutual agreement with you, or provide you with your share of reimbursement for payment of the furniture.

I hope that helps!

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Nisha Jones