Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am a licensed REALTOR. I met some new clients from out of

the area and they wanted...
I am a licensed REALTOR. I met some new clients from out of the area and they wanted to know about properties in the area.I had an acquaintance that I knew was getting ready to sell in their price range. I called her while the clients waited. The acquaintance said, "I just listed the property but it won't be on the MLS for a day." So, I asked if we could see it.
Acquaintance said yes.
We showed up 30 minutes later.
The clients were also interested in a new vacant property across the street so we looked at that one first and then went to the acquaintance's home where the acquaintance let us in. We looked around the home, and then we left that property.
We went back to the new vacant property. Then the clients and I said goodbye. I drove away.I called them maybe a day or two later to talk about the new vacant home that they seemed most interested in, they said they needed to move some money first and then would make a decision. I have been emailing, calling and texting them for three weeks and did not hear back.Three days on the market the acquaintance's home went into escrow.A co-worker heard from that SAME acquaintance that she went over to those clients as I drove away and talked to them.
They met with the listing agent and wrote an offer that is due to close in two days.I would like to know if the "Procuring cause" would apply and I would be due any commission?
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/15/2017
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience, including extensive experience in the regulation of licensed professionals, and real estate experience. I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Once the house was listed the standard contractual terms applied. even though the house was not yet on the MLS, you were the selling agent. The seller knew you introduced the buyer to them and therefor you are entitled to the commission split as was in the listing agreement.

You should notify the listing broker that you showed the buyers the house and as such are entitled to your share of the commission.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer