Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

When my son was 16 he was given a 5150 for suicide attempt.

Hello, when my son...

Hello, when my son was 16 he was given a 5150 for suicide attempt. He is now 25 and going to college. This is something that happened when he was young and still developing. The question is does he need to tell prospective employers about this past including law enforcement and military?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

He was in a hospital for a 3 day period

11/15/2017
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

First and foremost being placed on a 5150/5250 hold pursuant to Cal. Welf. & Inst. Code sections 5150 and 5250 is not considered an arrest. Rather, it is simply a hold to provide assessment, evaluation, and crisis intervention as a result of a mental disorder. As a 5150 hold is not considered an arrest, it will not appear on a criminal record background check, as this information is protected by an individual’s right to privacy pursuant to Cal. Welf. & Inst. Code section 5328. There are certain exceptions within Cal. Welf. & Inst. Code section 5328 relating to the disclosure of a 5150 hold.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

You mentioned exceptions can apply. Can you explain what those might be

It has to do with court ordered disclosures and restoration of firearm purchase rights. Not really applicable to your son's situation.

Loren, Attorney
Loren, Attorney