Iowa - My great grandson who is 2 1/2 years old is living…

Iowa - My great...

Iowa - My great grandson who is 2 1/2 years old is living with his parents who are not well equipped to raise him. They are just 21. I am trying to get them to have my great grandson tested to determine the extent of his developmental issues but they have not called to make an appointment. They do not read to him or play with him. He is currently none verbal. What are my legal options?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm just looking for advice at the moment.

11/15/2017
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your great grandson's situation.

Unfortunately most states have limitations on the rights of grandparents and great grandparents. There is not much legal recourse for great grandparents in a situation like this, as the states leave medical decisions and most other major decisions solely in the discretion of the parents.

If you feel that he is not being properly cared for and that this is the cause of his development delays, then you could file a report with child protective services. They would then look into the situation, perform a home visit, and make a determination as to whether any action should be taken on your great grandson's behalf.

I understand CPS is usually called as a last resort, but unfortunately there is not much else that the law offers you in this area.

Something else to consider is perhaps having a family meeting with some other family members present as well, to confront the child's parents about the issue and urge them to take some action on the child's behalf, hopefully they would be moved to action.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones
Thanks! You have confirmed what I believed to the situation with regard to my great grandson. I will talk it over with his grandmother. Can I copy your response to include in my research?

You're welcome, and yes that would be fine!

If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. Best of luck to you, take care!