Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I️ haven’t had license in years I️ recently got a ticket for…

I️ haven’t had license...

I️ haven’t had license in years I️ recently got a ticket for speeding I️ can’t my license to save my life last ticket I️ received was in 2012 I️ don’t owe anyone what should I️ do

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that’s it

11/15/2017
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Ok thank you

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Can you please clarify, at the time you received the ticket, did you have a current valid license?

No I️ never had a license before I️ was caught driving as a teenager and since then I was pulled over three additional times by the time I️ was 19 since then I’ve paid all my tickets and haven’t been pulled over up until this point. I️ have yet to be able to get a drivers license I️ feel this is unfair I️ paid my debuts and I’m suffering for infractions I’ve mad before 21

Were you only given a speeding ticket? Or were you also cited for driving without a license?

Just to clarify, what is the reason you have been unable to obtain a license until now? Was there a legal bar?

Both tickets and I️ have no clue I’ll find out tomorrow I️ have court

Thanks for the clarification, give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Do you mind sharing why you have not been able to obtain a license during this time?

Because I’ve had 2 or more driving on suspended license and never had a license I’ve filed for an appeal to the state but was denied I️ just don’t understand

Driving without a valid license is a misdemeanor offense. This means it is actually punishable by up to 6 months in jail, as well as a $500 fine.

If your vehicle was impounded, you'll also need to pay the impound administrative fees in order to have your car returned to you.

Since this is a criminal traffic offense you should get a public defender appointed to you when you attend your first court hearing.

You'll want to apprise your attorney of all the details and facts concerning your case, so that they can come up with a case strategy to build a defense for you. Hopefully they'll be able to negotiate a favorable plea with the prosecutor assigned to your case.

As for the speeding ticket, the fines really depend on how much you were doing over the speed limit.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones
Ok and no problem

If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. Best of luck to you, take care!

Ok ma’am thank you

You're welcome, no problem!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones