I have two cases open for an eviction against me for two…

Customer Question
Hi, my name is*****...

Hi, my name is***** have two cases open for an eviction against me for two seperate months. My question is if I have a case against the landlord/ management team. They cashed my partial rent payment claiming it was for lawyer/attorney fees without my consent. That caused a delay in me paying the rent along with several damages that came along the way during the same time, such as a flood that came from another unit and damaged my apartment and nothing was done. I am missing my bathroom window and i am on the first floor and i have two daughters that live with me and nothing is done about solving this. I have non-jury trial soon for one case and I don't know what I need to know or to have with me since I have no representative on my behalf. any suggestions?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Yes, California city of North Hills

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, my money orders for the two months were rejected by my manager and I will pick them up today to take it to trial tomorrow.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/15/2017
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

Hi Erika,

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Your rent check can only be used to pay rent. Under Cal. Civ. Code, Section 1950.8, they cannot require you to pay their attorney's fees in order to continue living there unless the lease says so. If you're being evicted for non-payment of rent, they cannot decline to accept your rent. They are required to give you an amount to pay, and if you pay before the trial, you get to stay. If you bring the money order to the hearing and explain to the judge that they rejected it, the judge should dismiss the case. The California Civil Code also requires the landlord to maintain the premises in fit and habitable condition. That includes intact and working windows, no mold, cleaning up flood damage, and similar. If you've been forced to live in substandard conditions, you can file a counter claim for rent and the judge will decide what the property is worth in the current condition. If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?