I recently had a dispute with my mother over some of my

Customer Question
I recently had a...

I recently had a dispute with my mother over some of my deceased (22 years) father's belongings. In a stupid and irrational move, I boxed up several items and took them to her house saying I didn't want anything. After sleeping on it, I decided that two items of his that had never been in her possession, I did want and called to ask for them back. She said no. So drove to her home where she opened the front door and stood behind a locked glass storm door and again told me "no." I pulled hard on the storm door, it broke the latch so I walked in, grabbed her phone and held it above my head, got the two items I wanted while she was pushing and hitting me, threw the phone on the floor and walked out. I drove back home. I knew she would call 911 so after I got home and cooled off, I called her and told her to tell me when the cops got there and I would come back. Long story short, she said she would not press charges if I gave one of the items back (which was never hers) and so I did. I also offered to pay for the damages to the door with the policeman present and she declined the offer I have no previous record of any kind outside of a speeding ticket or two. Never been in a police car, ever. I know she can press charges any time until the statute of limitations runs out, which is I think 5 years in my state. But do you think the prosecutor would take a case like this after the initial pass on pressing charges?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Arkansas and it happened yesterday.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. The policeman said to not worry about anything, but I'm obsessing.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of right now.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
11/14/2017
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 5 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

Very unlikely, if the people begin a dialogue to settle the matter. As such, if she did not press charges at the time, then even if she calls the police back, the D.A. will be much less likely to press charges. I am not saying that they won't, but about 72 hours go by, chances decrease.

However someone in your situation still wants to enter into a WRITTEN CONTRACT which has both parties agree to to seek civil or criminal remedy in exchange for (whatever the agreement is).

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law