My boyfriend gave me a cat and we broke up and he's trying…

Customer Question
My boyfriend gave me...

My boyfriend gave me a cat and we broke up and he's trying to take the cat back, can he do that?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

PA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/14/2017
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 7 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

The answer is no. If he gives you a gift, it is considered yours. He cannot take it back. A gift is transfer of ownership rights to the giftee (you).

Now, he can try to file a small claims court for the cat, claiming he never gifted it to you. If he does that, it would be your word versus his, so any proof you have of it being a gift (texts, emails, etc) can be very useful in disproving his argument. That is, if he even files a small claims court case.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.