We have had a photography club for several years now. We had…

Customer Question
We have had a...

We have had a photography club for several years now. We had a main member leave and is now demanding half of the stuff that was purchased with club funds. He is threatening us with court action if we do not give him half for his new club. The club that he left is still active. Do we have to give him anything?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

VA

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

I am club president and he was co president

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/14/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Generally, if a person purchased something as a gift and did not purchase it for their own purposes, then they will not be entitled to it. Personal property rules generally say that the title to something (even if if there is no official title like a camera) belongs to the person for whom the property was intended or the original purchaser, assignee, beneficiary, or grantee. In short, this simply just means that if you bought it for yourself or someone gave it to you, it's yours. Thus, if he purchased stuff for the club, particularly if he used club funds, or if there is stuff that was used using club funds, you do not have to return it to him. it's similar to when someone quits a job. If they have a phone that they used for work purposes only, then they must return the phone. Otherwise, stuff like their photos and personal papers must be returned to them.

What other questions did you have for me today?