Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Daughter has had a brief marriage to army captain who

cheated on her now he...
Daughter has had a brief marriage to army captain who cheated on her now he filed for divorce but has not let the army know, basically telling her she gets nothing
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: tx
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: No we are not military family and when he married her he knew she knew nothing about the military and he wanted to keep it that way, actually his mother insisted he get a pre-nup which we were clueless why she would want that but he did not get a pre-nup
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well she is 25 and he is 28 so hes been in for 5 years she has been married since May 2016 and he just got back from deployment and decided to file for divorce since she would take him back after his cheating with other women
11/14/2017
KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Good afternoon
Customer reply replied 3 days ago
good afternoon,
Customer reply replied 3 days ago
No you can answer on here, I was just hoping this guy was the honest army soldier but I guess not
Ok. I will answer online
The military penalty remains pretty harsh: up to a year in confinement plus a dishonorable discharge, which entails the forfeiture of all retirement pay. But a soldier's odds of facing such punishment are slim, at least if adultery is all they're charged with. In fact, courts martial on adultery charges alone are almost unheard of; the charge is usually added atop a list of other crimes, like failing to obey orders, lying to a superior, or sexual misconduct.Proving adultery under military guidelines is no mean prosecutorial feat. According to Article 134 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, the prosecution must prove that the accused not only committed the indiscretion, but also that his or her conduct "was to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces or was of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces." In other words, the affair must somehow have hampered the military's ability to do its job—say, by lowering morale on a base, or by damaging the public's faith in the armed forces.That said, she can report his affair to his command JAG, the security forces (like CID, OSI or the MP's).After she reports it, it will be up to the commander to decide what action the military will take, if any. You can't force them to take any action at all.In terms of military benefits, she had not been married long enough to be entitled to maintaining an ID, medical or commissary/bx (px) rights. She would lose those all.Any rights to-his pension would be decided by a civilian divorce court, where she may be awarded a portion of his retirement, but that is not guaranteed. The law simply gives the state court the right, not the obligation, to grant her a portion of his retirement.Keep in mind that , if she reports him and his command chooses to really go after him, she won't have the option to get any of his retirement, because he'll lose that when he is separated.I hope this clarifies. Please don’t forget to rate the question with stars so that I will receive credit and payment for assisting you with your question.
KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 3 days ago
I understand, I guess he married her to get the increase in pay, however, while deployed he told her he would only give her 1/2 of the BAH and that's all he gave her, she was left to fend for herself, would not give her access to his bank account or even his password ***** USAA auto insurance
Customer reply replied 3 days ago
she lived on 800 a month for these 9 months hes been gone, so I really don't care to much for the military at this point
One of the women contacted her to let her know that he had been texted her sexually sexting I guess, but like he told this
woman he gets to work at the crack of dawn so he has lots of time to counsel women on their sex life...lol
Customer reply replied 3 days ago
He would add her to deers until July 2016 even though they married in May 2016 --- I think his mother is works at the DOD so
they are well versed in screwing over an innocent beautiful girl, my daughter, Too bad he couldn't marry his mother as she was so upset by him marrying that his sister sent a text to my daughter on the wedding day telling her she was making the biggest mistake of her life, this is all scary crazy to me!! But we are Texans and they are from Maryland so no clue about that culture up there
Customer reply replied 3 days ago
I gather from your answer this is a life lesson, for my daughter and my family as well since we are not military, Hoorah
Oh he did move in with another army officers wife while that officer was deployed to Afghanistan but he thought that was fine, I am sure her husband didn't. or maybe hedidnt know, but at the same time this woman was driving to Georgia from Texas to screw around with another married military soldier, oh lord help us so I guess its whoever cheats wins!! Sad
I’m sorry to hear that. At this point she should report the affair, and he may then be disciplined.
KJL LAW
KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer