I found out my friend who has been using my car in Ny (I’m…

Customer Question
I found out my...

I found out my friend who has been using my car in Ny (I’m in tn I haven’t had time/money to go retrieve it) since 2013 has racked up numerous parking violations and I think there’s a warrant for my arrest. I have no money; how Can I avoid jail time?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?

NY, I think 2014-15

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Can’t afford one

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Idk. I should just kill myself before getting raped/shanked in prison.

Lawyer's Assistant: I'm sorry if I'm reading you wrong here, but it seems as though you might be considering committing suicide or hurting yourself. Am I right?

I see no way out of this.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
11/14/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 5 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. How much is owed? Have you asked your friend for the money?

About $10k. He is no longer responding to me.

Thank you for the reply. Jail is the last resort. If you know there are fines, you can contact the court and see if they would allow you to start paying these off. If you gave your friend the car and have been allowing them to drive it all this time, you would be financially responsible. However, you can sue and go after them for the money owed. The warrant could be lifted and you can see if you can work on a payment plan, to pay these off and if you friend will not return the car, you can call it in stolen and you need to get it back.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

I can’t sue him or accuse him of stealing it; I’m just going to have to go to jail for couple years, lose my family, my home and my job.

You will not go to jail for a couple years. As I shared, you can contact them and try and start working on paying this off. If he will not return it or contact you and you can not find the car, it would be missing and reported stolen. Moreover, there needs to be insurance on it, so if you are not insuring it and something were to happen, you could be liable.

Tina, Lawyer