Several months ago, the contract for the car I'm leasing was…

Customer Question
Several months ago, the...

Several months ago, the contract for the car I'm leasing was about to expire. I was told I can upgrade and the dealership would cover the wear and tear, mileage, and the rest, it would all be taken care of. Now, the dealership is saying I owe money.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

2015 and apart from excess milage, it's in good condition.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

The problem is that there is a miscommunication going on. My case has gone to a collection agency and I'm being harrased by them. The issue is that the dealership supposedly sent a check covering my fees to corperate and the corperate is stating that they never received anything.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I provided a copy of the check from the dealership and presented it to corporate and they claimed that it was sent somewhere else. It's just a lot of miscommunication going on and I'm being put in the middle.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/14/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

do I have a potential lawsuit on my hands, because this is a huge waste of my time and I shouldn't be going through this hassle to begin with. I was assured by the dealership that I wouldn't have to pay for anything, that this deal would be taken care of hassle free.

Hi, bear with me a moment while I review your question fully:-)

okay

Thanks so much for your patience. If you were given assurances by the other party that they would take care of the wear, tear, and mileage on the vehicle if you upgraded, but they failed to honor this commitment, then this appears to be a classic breach of contract. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court.

This website is also pretty cool because they have some state-specific breach of contract forms that you can use as well. Click here to choose your state and get started.

What other questions did you have for me today?

No, that's pretty much it.

Ok, great. There’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

3. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

4. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!