How can a case that is dismissed without prejudice be left…

Customer Question
How long can a...

How long can a case that is dismissed without prejudice be left in the court system. It says a collection agency can pick it up again and pursue the case again. But is there a statues of limitations on such process.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I received a letter stating the case was dismissed without prejudice

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/14/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks for your patience. Generally, court records, unless they are sealed or otherwise ordered destroyed, will stay visible to the public forever. If a case is dismissed without prejudice, it means that it is possible that those same claims or issues can be brought back into court at a later time. Thus, although you received the letter stating the issue was being dismissed, it is still visible by the public forever. What other questions did you have for me today?