GM! I've been on my job for 15 years without one blemish.

Customer Question
GM! I've been on...

GM! I've been on my job for 15 years without one blemish. I'm a supervisor on a residential property. I went on a call to a new residents apt. in the a.m. she phoned 10pm that night stating that she was robbed. This morning I found out that she went on Google and stated that I robbed her. Do I have legal recouse?! Can I sue her?? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Yes, I live and work in Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

This just happened within the last 10-12 hrs, but I already received word from the corporate office asking me to explain what they just saw online. I live and work on the property and I'm just at a loss right now on what my rights are

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not now thanks

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
11/14/2017
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 5 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I am sorry to her about this situation. The answer is yes.

To sue in a state court, one needs to have a "cause of action." There are numerous causes of action, such as "breach of contract," "negligence," "fraud," "unjust enrichment," etc., as well as causes of action rooted in statutory law. Every state has their own although they are very similar to each other in every state because they all stem from the same common law. A pleading in Court needs at least one cause of action, although it is not unusual to have more than one.

Here, what she wrote was libel - written defamation. You'd have to show that "(1) that the defendant made a defamatory statement to a third person, (2) that the statement was false, (3) that the defendant was legally at fault in making the statement, and (4) that the plaintiff thereby suffered harm. A defamatory statement is one ‘which tends to expose a person to public scorn, hatred, contempt or ridicule, thereby discouraging others in the community from having a good opinion of, or associating with, that person.’ " Offen v. Brenner, 402 Md. 191, 935 A.2d 719 (2007), quoting Smith v. Danielczyk, 400 Md. 98, 115, 928 A.2d 795, 805 (2007).

So yes, her action gives rise to a civil action of defamation by someone in your situation, which can demand damages as part of judgment.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law