I give my husband permission to take my kids to visit his…

Customer Question
I give my husband permission...
I give my husband permission to take my kids to visit his family because I'm working, and when he arrive there he told you can not see you kids again because the low in Jordan don't let me take my kids her without his permission, and my kids and I American citizen and he has a green card from me, so I need to find way to get my kids back.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/14/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, this happens to be a major legal issue for many parents who are married to foreign spouses from countries who refuse to recognize US court rulings or the jurisdiction of the US.

Your options are very limited here. The first option, the legal option, is to hire an attorney in Jordan to represent you and to seek custody of the children from the Jordanian courts. In Jordan, the courts still favor the mother until the children reach the age of maturity, 13-15, where the courts can allow them to live with the father. However, the Jordanian courts will not generally approve removal of the children from the country without approval of the father. So an attorney there would need to fight this case through the courts

The alternative, which we cannot suggest to you but has been used by some other parents in similar situations, is finding someone who can go into Jordan to get the children and remove them from the country back to the US, which would then force your husband to return to the US to fight for custody and visitation rights in the US. Based on his conduct, the US courts would likely not allow him to remove the children from the US and would allow you to hold their passports.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.