I am being asked to give my physical address for a divorce…

Customer Question
I am being asked...

I am being asked to give my physical address for a divorce decree proposal. I have already given the court an address for service which is a physical address and my spouse is saying that I MUST give my physical residence as we have a child. I am asking that before I do this that I would need to see the decree and the content body for custody etc. Surely an address is not so important in comparison to the main body. I also have the right to see the decree and what it say's first before I sign. I have said that she can have the address without objection, but why can they not enter the address of service. I really have nothing to hide, and I am not being resisitant, but my only thought is that there is a strategic reason why her attorney wants to do this. Please can you clarify what the law is in the State of Texas regarding Divorce Decrees and obligating me to add my physical address instead of my Mailing address/PO Box, even before I have seen the decree and more importantly signed it.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in TX family court?

Yes, I am the petitioner, I have an answer and counter. I then respoinded to the counter. A court date has been requested and we are waiting.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

Not yet, but I intend to. I have further information and I know that an amendment to petition can be provide at least seven days before trial date.I just need to know if their is a mandatory requirement for me to give my physical address as opposed to my mailing address which the court already has.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that about covers, thank you.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/14/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

ANSWER: In theory you do not have to provide your address to receive a proposal - though your spouse is entitled to know the location of her child, should the child be in your care. In instances of abuse, which you have not alleged, a spouse may withhold their address into perpetuity, but generally it's customary - though not mandatory - to provide an address. You can certain decide not to provide it, and if the other side has an issue with it they would take it to the judge (though other than the other side knowing where the child is they really have no entitlement to the information). I hope that answers your question. If you don't need any additional information, could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question so that I receive credit for working with you. It doesn't cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively (3 or more stars - 5 is definitely appreciated!). If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your questions.

Thank you Olivia. I think you misunderstood. My child is with her mother. There is no issue of violence or anything like that. My question is simple really. Do I need to give my physical address to her attorney to add to the decree when the court already had an address for me to get any documents. My spouse is saying he has to have it and I am saying it could even be added afterwards if I decide to sign it? I jus want to be on safe ground legally and am saying that my physical residence address, which is temporary, is not so important compared to the main body of content on the decree especially when I haven't had a chance to see it, or even sign and agree.

I understand that the child is with mom. All I meant is that THAT would be a reason for mom to have your physical address :)

You can simply put a placeholder address in the decree if it is your intention to give an address at a later date. If you won't then that will be something to address with the court at a later date. But for the time being you're not under any obligation to provide it so it can be typed onto a piece of paper that is not yet final.

that's what I thought. The court has an address for me where I can receive papers/documents and so does her attorney. In fact I have efile which he has used. I think. She was trying to say I had no choice and he couldn't complete it without my resident address, which in all honesty didn't make sense, considering I haven't even seen the draft decree. Thank you.

My pleasure. Happy to help. If you don't have any additional questions, could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question so that I receive credit for working with you. It does NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you.

I notice you are in NJ. Do your answers apply to Texas. Sorry I'm using my iPhone. Not sure where this box is that you need me to check?

Yes, they apply nationwide.

There should be a rating system with stars on your end. 5 stars is always appreciated :) Sorry - I wish I could be more specific but experts don't see the same screen you do when you get responses. If you can't find it and you want to just say a number of stars, I can have customer service enter it.

6 stars :) .....ok 5 Stars. Thank you.

It's my pleasure :) I will be logging out now but I shall be back online in the morning, in case you need anything.