I need an attorney who can help with a car rental hit and…

Customer Question
I need an attorney...

I need an attorney who can help with a car rental hit and run accident

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

The accident was in North Carolina. I am a resident in Colorado. The car I rented during my trip was hit when it was parked by an unidentified driver.

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

No. I was not in the car when it was hit. The person who hit it sped off. A police report was filed. Even though my insurance company has paid for the damages I have gotten a bill for $1200 for diminution of property, administrative costs and loss of use for 15 days even though it was minor damage to the rental vehicle and even though it wasn't my fault

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

R u a real person? or are you and automatic robot responding to key words?

Lawyer's Assistant: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the lawyer more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the lawyer more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions.

How do I know you'll connect me with someone who has expertise in what I need?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
11/14/2017
Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Hertz is charging me an additional $1200 for admin fees, diminution of value, and loss of use...even after Visa and Geico have paid for property damage and for part of the loss of us and admin fees. This was a rental car that was hit while parked. The other driver sped away. There were witnesses and a police report was filed.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

1) Your auto insurance liability policy should cover these additional claims against you. Under your liability policy your insurance company is responsible to provide you a legal defense if you are sued and pay any legitimate claims against you. If your insurance company is determining that these claims are not payable they should be working with the rental car company to resolve them. So contact your insurance company again about these new claims.

2) It may be that the rental car company is "estopped" form raising these new claims. They should have notified you of all the claimed damages at the time they notified you of the damages.

3) Also check with the credit card company that you used to rent the car. You may have additional excess insurance through them. Some card provide this benefit to card holders.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

I want a refund please. Don't want to spend more money

I know that you stated the accident was not your fault. Nevertheless your liability policy covers you when you are driving another persons car - such as a rental car.

Okay. I will notify Customer service

I am sorry that the service did not meet your expectations.

Thanks for the refund.
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer