I was hacked a couple days ago....are you familiar with an…

Customer Question
I was hacked a...

I was hacked a couple days ago....are you familiar with an organization

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

I have deleted all programs in their sales pitch (free) that are claimed to be superior to Defender!

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Their organization is known as Unosis Co. and has a terrible reputation, that I discovered by a recent search

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/14/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Did this company make unsolicited contact with you to tell you that your computer was hacked? And did you then give th remote access?

Thank you. Please give me a few minutes to type a response for you.

There is a very popular computer tech scam and you will know when I describe it whether what you experienced conforms to the pattern.

Typically, the scam begins when you receive unsolicited contact from a computer tech company. It may be a phone call or you may see a pop-up on your screen warning you of malware in your computer and telling you to contact Microsoft or Apple or Macafee or what have you at a number that isn't theirs at all, as it turns out. They just claim to be affliated to get you to trust them so that you will grant them remote access to your computer.

What these computer tech fraudsters do is take a perfectly healthy computer and charge you a hefty fee to install software that actually creates new problems for you. The scam is all about getting you to give them more and more money for problems that they are creating with their remote access.

Or, it could be even worse than that:

if you also let them into your computer, they also can hack your computer and commit identity theft. They can plant malware that logs your keystrokes and gets your passwords and they can break into your financial accounts.

I am betting that this will sound familiar to you. Therefore, if you installed their software or gave them remote access, just removing the software isn't good enough. Your computer's security has been compromised and so are all of your accounts in your computers.

If that's your situation, you need to take precautions against identity theft by having a verified professional tech -- someone you actually know in the community, such as a tech person in your local computer shop -- debug it. Then you need to change all of your pin numbers and passwords.

Do this immediately and your computer and accounts should be secure.

If you paid them by credit or debit card, call your card carrier and then dispute the charge. Then cancel the card and open up a new one.

Report them online to the FBI at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at www.IC3.gov and the Federal Trade Commission at www. FTC.gov

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.