I was divorced October 2014, my ex moved [auto f the house…

Customer Question
I was divorced October...

I was divorced October 2014, my ex moved [auto f the house but I was able to stay living in the house on a lease agreement till Nov 2018cuz my son was just starting college then after my ex is suppose to sell the house . I am getting 60% of the equityhim 40% after house is sold. So now he has broken our agreement and wants me to move out by january18 so he can move back in and do homeimprove ments before he sells it and I'll get my money whenever he sells it. So my ? Is what are my rights here? Can he just\ kick me out

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

I haven't done anything yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state is he in?

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just this for now

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/13/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much for your patience. Generally, if a court has ordered the parties to do or not to do something, but one of the parties fails to abide by the order, then they are in contempt of court. Thus, in your case, if the other party is asking that you leave 10 months before you're required to leave, then you may need to file a motion for contempt with the court if you end up having to actually leave the property. You'll probably have to pay a filing fee and will have to serve the doc on your ex; however, you can basically tell the court that he is having you removed. If for some reason it is absolutely necessary for him to have you out of the home to do improvements, then you can ask the court to enter a temporary order wherein he either reimburses you or gives you additional equity for the inconvenience. What other questions did you have for me?

Do I need to file a motion forc ontempt in civil* court

You would actually file it in the same court where the original order was made (family court). Did you have any other questions for me?

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further before you rated. If you have any other questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know.