WE have discovered that an employee has been using the

WE have discovered that...

WE have discovered that an employee has been using the company credit card for unauthorized fuel purchases since April 2017. Totaling over $1,100. He was terminated today and he was arrested by local city police. He offered to use his final payroll check to pay us back - we want to take the money, but we don't want to compromise the criminal prosecuter's case. Can we accept full restitution and still charge him with felony theft of over $1,000?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes, we had a Shreveport Police officer present for the termination, but when he did not show, we tracked the vehicle and the officer took him into custody at his residence. he said he would arrest him. We filed a report last week with another detective.

11/13/2017
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Can we accept full restitution and still charge him with felony theft of over $1,000?

.

Yes, the crime still remains even if the money is repaid.. That will go towards mitigating any penalty that the person may receive, but he still committed employee theft/embezzlement..

.

It is like robbing a bank...if you give the money back, you still robbed the bank and will be prosecuted for it..

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney
Barrister, Attorney