Hit wrong button and got off key. Maine. I just put all info…

Customer Question
Hit wrong button and...

Hit wrong button and got off key

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Maine. I just put all info on here.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I had a couple of tenants share my house this past year. He had a lawsuit in court in Rhode Island which he was going to get money from and said he would pay me when suit was settled. They owe me $9125. They got their settlement, Moved out first week of Oct. and I haven't heard from them since. They are not taking my calls or answering my private messages to them on face book. They bought a house in Bath Maine but I do not have the address. I have been told that I can't take them to small claims court because it is over $5,000 that they owe me.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/13/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

ANSWER: The maximum amount allowable in small claims court in Maine is $6,000 so if you choose to file there that would be your maximum recovery. I hope that answers your question. If you don't need any additional information, could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question so that I receive credit for working with you. It doesn't cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively (3 or more stars). If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You can still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be some lag in my response time if you follow up with additional questions. It just means I'm working with someone else but I will ALWAYS come back an answer your questions when I'm done.

http://www.courts.maine.gov/maine_courts/small_claims/sc-guide.pdf is a good packet of information filing in small claims court in Maine. I hope that helps!

Is there anything else I can answer for you or do you have all the information you need?