I am getting married for the second time. Question: I

Customer Question
I am getting married...

I am getting married for the second time. Question: I currently have my life insurance beneficiaries as my sons from my first marriage. Do I have to change the polices to my new husbands name? What about my IRA's after I get married??

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No..my children are both over 40 years old. Family court?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I currently am have an offer to purchase on my home when I am single yet. My home is in my name. I am closing with the buyers around the middle of January 2018. I will be married at that time.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
11/13/2017
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 5 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

The answer is "no" to both. There is no statute under Michigan laws that mandate that spouses must "update" their insurance beneficiary forms to include the other new spouse. So you can maintain however you want even with the new marriage.

NOTE: The answer above can be modified by your divorce decree or a pre/post-nuptial agreement with your new spouse.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law