Daughter attained life insurance 3 yrs back while answering…

Customer Question
Daughter attained life insurance...

Daughter attained life insurance 3 yrs back while answering question about smoking she said yes but only because she had tried an electric cigarette once but never touched it again. She has wanted to retract that smoking issue. The insurance company want to give her a new exam. But since she attained her ins she has had health issues she didn't have prior to getting her insurance. What should she do? Would they count her health issues against her even though she didn't have before her insurance.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Does she take new test or does she drop insurance state of tx

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
11/13/2017
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 5 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. I do not believe that the smoking e-cig one time will really affect her coverage in any way.

Unless she has a grandfathered plan (she can ask), health insurance companies can’t refuse to cover her or charge her more just because she has a “pre-existing condition” — that is, a health problem you had before the date that new health coverage starts. These rules went into effect for plan years beginning on or after January 1, 2014.

Unless she knew and specifically omitted the preexisting condition, then she should be covered.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law