How many years to collect deficiency. Florida. None first…

Customer Question
How many years to...

How many years to collect deficiency

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

None first call today since voluntary repo in 2004

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
11/13/2017
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 5 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Florida allows FIVE YEARS to sue over a debt created by deficiency/repo of a vehicle. The statute of limitations can be reset if you (1) make a payment after the repo, (2) enter into a repayment plan after the repo, or, (3) acknowledge in writing that you owe the debt.

Assuming you had not done any of that, they should not be able to sue for something back fro 2004. They can try to collect by calling and sending letters, but simply cannot sue, or even threaten to sue.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law