I have submitted for attorney fee arbitration as you

Customer Question
Hi again, I have submitted for...
Hi again,
I have submitted for attorney fee arbitration as you suggested but my application was declined and the secretary of the District Arbitration Committee returned all the documents I have sent him. I have attached the letter I received from him in this regard, what options do I have at this point? Please let me know.Thank you
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/13/2017
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 8 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", "where is my answer", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

I don't see a document attached but technically we're supposed to charge an additional fee to review any documents and it really shouldn't be necessary in a case like this.

If for any reason you are unable to arbitrate a dispute, then the only other step you can take is to file a lawsuit. I read your prior post regarding the IRA and alimony you are seeking to protect but transferring them at a time when you have been notified you may be subject to a lawsuit is unlikely to successfully protect the assets since the judge can void the transfer.

There aren't enough facts in your other post to tell what you would use as the basis of your lawsuit or your defense. However, since it is for attorney's fees the only likely defenses are 1) the contract called for a lesser amount and/or 2) the amount sought be the attorney was the result of overbilling.

You will, unfortunately, have to hire an attorney to defend you or pursue this attorney but you can seek those attorney fees in the case. The fact that the attorney refused to arbitrate may be considered by the judge in deciding whether they are going to award attorney's fees.

Your "new lawyer" will want to do extensive discovery so they can get copies of all internal memos, time slips, notes, etc. and recreate what your "old" lawyer claims they did.

You can either wait to be sued or you can take the lead and bring the case yourself, whichever is more comfortable for you. However, you would want to go ahead and start trying to find a lawyer to assist you because that may take a while. To locate someone I'd suggest you go to www.lawyers.com and in the section for Area of Practice enter Legal Malpractice. While this isn't a malpractice case, usually the same lawyers handle both types of cases.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Also please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

Here is the letter attached I thought I have attached it earlier.

As I said, we're supposed to charge a fee to review any documents but rather than submit a separate services charge I'd just ask you to consider that when you issue your rating and are asked if you would like to leave a tip. Normally, a charge for a document review would be, at a minimum, $30 with $50 being more usual.

As to the document, it was as I assumed and the State Bar simply refused to accept responsibility for the arbitration. They cite the specific reason in the letter, that the amount in controversy you are claiming, $173,977.28, exceeds the amount at which they must accept arbitration and is more than they are comfortable with. This is not an unusual response since it often ends up with the members of the arbitration panel being subpoenaed into court if the client loses the arbitration, even though that is technically against the rules.

The second page indicates they believe is really no right to appeal a denial of a decision not to accept non-mandatory arbitration but explains where and the time limits you normally have to appeal denials of arbitration.

Other than that, the letter doesn't change anything about the answer I have you earlier. You would still need to hire the same type of lawyer, use the same discovery tactics to develop the same information, and still have to file a lawsuit.

You can also either sue for breach of contract or wait to get sued and defend the case. The cost will be about the same either way and once you locate your lawyer they will advise you on which of the two ways you should proceed based on their perception of the facts of the case and the trial tactics.

What if I can't afford a lawyer at this point? do I have other choices?

You can file yourself, which would be unwise, or you can call around and see if you can find a lawyer that will take the case on a % basis but I'm not sure how likely that would be. Your only choice is to sue though unless the old lawyer wants to agree to am arbitration through a different and private arbitration agreement.

I think it is pretty safe to assume he isn't going to agree to arbitrate but it won't hurt to ask. Your best bet is to start calling around and see if anyone is interested in taking the case for a %.

Thank you for your help, you mentioned trying to find a lawyer who will take the case on a % basis. My question here is on % of what?

A % of whatever fee he is able to recover. This isn't the kind of case where that is usually done, but since he can ask for attorney's fees to be awarded as well, you may find someone who is aggressive and has some extra time to work on the case. It also isn't the type of case that would be tremendously expensive as compared to, for instance, a medical malpractice case.

It's worth asking around about anyway and especially since this is not the kind of case a lawyer would be likely to take pro bono (for free). Many lawyers also take credit cards, will allow you to put a down payment an then pay out a fee, etc. so there are a number of different ways you may be able to get someone to help you.