What are my legal rights to deny access to my landlord's…

Customer Question
What are my legal...

What are my legal rights to deny access to my landlord's exterminator who has proven to me he cannot be trusted in this home

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New York Herkimer county village of Mohawk

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have denied him access twice already he's due here in 25 minutes he is pulled insulation down in our basement in the middle of winter to landlord herself admits he comes here on a monthly basis to illegally inspect the premises

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/13/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If the exterminator is coming to perform legal extermination services, such as spraying, then you cannot deny him access or you could be in breach of lease and that could be legal grounds for the landlord to seek to terminate your lease and evict you.

If he has done improper things, then you need to report them to the landlord and it is up to the landlord to take action to change him or stop him from doing so. There is nothing illegal about a landlord making monthly inspections of their property as long as notice is given in advance that they or their repair person or contract employee is coming to the premises, but if the people coming over are damaging the property, the landlord is liable for fixing that damage or you can sue the landlord for breach of lease.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

I have notified the landlord of this and her response was if you don't like the way I do things move out

Thank you for your reply.

Legally, as long as they are giving you notice and the landlord makes repairs, the landlord has a right to send workers to the house. So legally if the workers are doing an improper job and the landlord refuses to stop them, then you have a suit against the landlord for breach of lease.