I have a court day today for a old vehicle i had back in…

Customer Question
I have a court...

I have a court day today for a old vehicle i had back in 2007. I received a judgement debtor rule and i don't feel comfortable going into court without a attorney present. Is it possible for me to miss the court day and get a lawyer to fight it?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Louisiana and its over 10 years old.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes, the first time action was taken i didn't receive the court order it was given to someone else so i never knew anything of it until later.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They are asking me for certain things like check stubs, bank statements, from 2014 to 2016 and have none of these things on hand.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/13/2017
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Thank you; this exam is governed by CCP 2451 and this is likely the form received.

Statute authorizing this:

https://legis.la.gov/legis/Law.aspx?d=111461

The idea is to assist the judgment creditor in locating assets that can be siezed for purposes of repaying the judgment.

Unfortunately if a debtor fails to show, they can be held in civil contempt, which can include jail time so an appearance is required to avoid that.

The opposing attorney can be contacted to see if the parties will stipulate (agree) to a continuance; that is typically done in advance and not on the day of.

Otherwise the party can file a continuance request with the court via a motion; this is normally done in advance as well.

It is possible to request the court, at the hearing, to reschedule to allow the judgment debtor time to locate an attorney.

That will be within the court's discretion as to whether to award that request.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here: