Is it legal to drink in a hotel parking lot. In North

Customer Question
Is it legal to...

Is it legal to drink in a hotel parking lot

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And do you know who owns the lot?

In North Carolina at comfort inn ..in Asheboro

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Don't know but thought about asking them

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Reckon that is it thanks

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
11/13/2017
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 9 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. North Carolina's open container laws prohibit an open container of alcohol that is being driven, on a highway, or on a right-of-way. That's not going to include a stopped car in a parking lot. N.C. Gen. Stat., Section 20-138.7. It is a misdemeanor to be intoxicated and disruptive in public. A hotel parking lot would be considered a public place, so if the occupants of the car were blocking traffic or disturbing hotel guests, that would be illegal. Section 14-444. Also, if the people in the car are not registered guests of the hotel (or visiting hotel guests), hotel staff could ask them to leave. Technically, it would be trespassing to be there without any business in the hotel. But, no, it's not generally illegal to consume alcohol in a stopped car in a parking lot (assuming that everyone is above the legal drinking age). If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?