I have a felony in 1973 for burglary, i was an unknowing…

Customer Question
I have a felony...

I have a felony in 1973 for burglary , i was an unknowing getaway driver , i got 3 years probation and i did 2 years and they let me off the last year. my question is , i want to vote and carry and gun with my CCL. what do i need to do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have,nt been in any kind of trouble since im 66 yrs old

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/13/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

alright thanks
text will be fine

If your conviction was in 1973, you already have partial gun rights. This is because Texas law will allow you to possess a firearm in your home 5 years after your sentence is discharged. But that's as far as it goes, even after all of this time. If you have a gun in your home, you may not take it anywhere outside of your home. It is strictly for your protection in the event that an intruder comes inside your home. You can be arrested in Texas for being a felon in possession of a firearm if you are found with it anywhere else, even in Texas.

The only way to get your full Texas rights back would be to obtain a pardon from your governor.

Until then, you will not be able to buy a gun through any dealer who has to check your background information. You lost your Federal rights too when you were convicted of your felony, and the Federal government does not recognize the partial restoration of gun rights. You will not have any Federal rights again unless/until you are pardoned. Til then, you will not clear a NICS check.

So if you need a gun for your protection, you can get a gun through a private sale where your background doesn't have to be run, you could keep it in your home -- period -- and would not be risking an arrest from state police. For anything more, you'll need a pardon from the governor.

Pardons are free to apply for and they don't require a lawyer. To see how to get a Texas pardon, read here:

www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/forms/FP%20App.pdf

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.