My sister is legal gurdain of her mentaly retarded daughter…

Customer Question
My sister is legal...

My sister is legal gurdain of her mentaly retarded daughter she is no longer able to take care of her what steps do i have take to beco e her legal gurdai

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your sister taken? Has she filed any papers in family court?

No does she have to start the action to transfer to me

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state is she in?

Oklahoma

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/13/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

If the current guardian is unable to care for the ward, then you can file a formal petition in the local probate court to be appointed as the successor guardian. Once a guardian is appointed, only a judge can remove them or replace them. So you would have to file the petition, and then have a hearing where you would state your reasons to the judge why your sister is unable to continue on in the role of guardian over her daughter.

.

The it is up to the judge to determine what is in the best interests of the ward as to who should be her legal guardian.

.

Although you could file the petition on your own, it will go much better with a much higher chance of success if you had a family law or elder law attorney helping you.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Attorney