Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

How do I file for bankruptcy on my own? Please provide

links. How much does it...
How do I file for bankruptcy on my own? Please provide links. How much does it cost? How long does it take?
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/12/2017
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Here is a good checklist.Chapter 7 is $335.

http://www.nyeb.uscourts.gov/chapter-7-checklist-individual

Here’s a list of the forms most people need when they file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Some of these, however, may not apply to your case. For example, if you are not requested a filing fee waiver, you won’t need to fill out Form B 3BA Application for Waiver of Chapter 7 Filing Fee.

B 101 Voluntary Petition for Individuals Filing for Bankruptcy

B 101A Initial Statement About an Eviction Judgment Against You (only if you have eviction judgment against you)

B 101B Statement About Payment of an Eviction Judgment Against You (only if you have eviction judgment against you)

FEATURED LISTINGS FROM NOLO

Featured Law Firms In San Francisco, CA change location

Jorgenson, Siegel, McClure & Flegel, LLP

4.7/5.0

View Phone

contact

Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck, LLP

4.9/5.0

View Phone

contact

Undisclosed Company Name

View Phone

contact

Sack Rosendin LLP

5.0/5.0

View Phone

contact

VIEW ALL

B 103A Application for Individuals to Pay the Filing Fee in Installments

B 103B Application to Have Chapter 7 Filing Fee Waived

B 106 Summary of Your Assets and Liabilities and Certain Statistical Information

B 106A/B Schedule A/B: Property

B 106C Schedule C: The Property You Claim as Exempt

B 106D Schedule D: Creditors Who Hold Claims Secured by Property

B 106E/F Schedule E/F: Creditors Who Have Unsecured Claims

B 106G Schedule G:Executory Contracts and Unexpired Leases

B 106H Schedule H: Your Codebtors

B 106I Schedule I: Your Income

B 106J Schedule J: Your Expenses

B 106J-2 Schedule J-2: Expenses for Separate Household of Debtor 2

B 107 Your Statement of Financial Affairs for individuals Filing Bankruptcy

B 108 Statement of Intention for Individuals Filing Under Chapter 7

B 121 Your Statement About Your Social Security Numbers

B 122A-1 Chapter 7 Statement of Current Monthly Income

B 122A-1 Supp Statement of Exemption from Presumption of Abuse (only if you qualify for an exception to the means test)

B 122A-2 Chapter 7 Means Test Calculation (only if your income is above the state median income)

Chapter 7 takes about 6 months to a year here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

In a Chapter 7 bankruptcy you wipe out your debts and get a “Fresh Start”. Chapter 7 bankruptcy is a liquidation where the trustee collects all of your assets and sells any assets which are not exempt. (see New York Exemptions) The trustee sells the assets and pays you, the debtor, any amount exempted. The net proceeds of the liquidation are then distributed to your creditors with a commission taken by the trustee overseeing the distribution.

Certain debts cannot be discharged in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, such as alimony, child support, fraudulent debts, certain taxes, student loans, and certain items charged. (see New York Non-Dischargeable Debts) In most Chapter 7 cases, the debtor has large credit card debt and other unsecured bills and very few assets. In the vast majority of cases a Chapter 7 bankruptcy is able to completely eliminate all of these debts.

You may keep certain secured debts such as your car or your furniture or house by reaffirming those debts. To do so, you must sign a voluntary “Reaffirmation Agreement”. If you decide that you want to keep your house or your car or your furniture, and you reaffirm the debt, you cannot bankrupt (or wipe-out) that debt again for eight years. You will still owe that debt and you must continue to pay it just as you were obligated to continue to pay it before you filed bankruptcy. In order to reaffirm the debt, you must also bring it current. In other words, if you are three or four months behind, then you must pay the back payments which are due in order to reaffirm it. You can selectively reaffirm your debts – you can state that you wish to keep the house and the furniture, but that you want the car and the jewelry to go back to the respective Creditors.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
    This seems very complicated, that is, there are a lot of forms. Is there a site that prompts you for all this information to make it easier to file for bankruptcy?

No unfortunately there is not.You can use he checklists here to make sure you file everything.These are the free sites trying to keep your costs down.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
    Last question, should I pay a lawyer to do this and how much should I pay?

Lawyer will want $1k to $1,500 plus filing fees.Thats your call many people file Chapter7 themselves.

Ray, Lawyer
    Ray, Lawyer