I have a daughter that is 9 years old and the father that is…

Customer Question
Hi I have a daughter...
Hi I have a daughter that is 9 years old and the father that is in her life is not her father due to paternity test which our verbal agreement is to keep it a secret from my daughter which him nor his family has not respected my wished yet he has still taken on the role just within this year he has not been fullfilling our agreement pertaining to my daughter. I was advised by child support personnel that he is her father by default because he has been filing her on his taxes since she has been born. What can I do legally for him to continue his visitation and financial responsibility.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/12/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You can file a petition for support and a parenting plan with him as the "de facto parent." A "de facto parent" is one who has been in the role of parent and has acted like one despite not being a biological parent and the court can award you child support from them and can put in a parenting plan to set up visitation. However, when it comes to visitation, the courts really cannot force someone who does not want to spend time with their child to do so.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

How do I go upon doing that do I see the child support agency?

Thank you for your reply.

You can contact the Child Support Agency for support, but visitation means you will need a local attorney and would have to file a petition for visitation/parenting plan in the court and if you cannot afford an attorney to represent you, then you need to consider going to legal aid or calling the state bar for local legal representation to file this as it is going to require some case law support and the arguments are technical legal issues.