My daughter is 18 and had sex with a 15 year old male. When…

Customer Question
My daughter is 18...

My daughter is 18 and had sex with a 15 year old male. When I found out, I made sure she ended the relationship and stopped contact. His parents are now threatening to go to the police. When I looked online it there is a close-in exception as long as there is no more than a three year difference. Can she still be charged

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

In Texas in the last few weeks.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not that I know of. The boys' mother texted my daughter last night threatening to go to the police unless I called her. I've left her two voice mail messages, but have not heard back from her.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
11/12/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Yes, unfortunately, your daughter can be charged. However, if they are less than three years apart in age at the time of the incident, she would have an affirmative defense to the charge and should not be convicted. If convicted, however, she would not have to register as a sex offender if they are less than 4 years apart in age.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney